To deal with the entire water process: production, distribution, sewage and recycling. To guarantee a product - water - of the best quality and at the best possible price. To seek solutions that improve this service and make sure that the projects that need to be done in the island have the least possible environmental impact.
A DATE TO REMEMBER:
1964. Private initiative changed the future of Lanzarote, bringing water to the island from the sea. The DIAZ RIJO brothers started up the first desalination plant - the first of its kind in Europe: it produced drinking water and electricity. The first great step had been taken and from 1964 Lanzarote began to have water, giving its people security and enabling the development of tourism.
1974: THE WATER CONSORTIUM
It became impossible for private venture to put up the large investment needed to create desalination plants and extend the distribution network, apart from the maintenance expenses that all this generated. This was when the regional government and Lanzarote’s seven Town Halls came into the picture, joining forces to form the WATER CONSORTIUM, which directed and financed new plants and continued to take water to the whole island, though it abandoned power generation. The regional government assumed 60% of the investment required and the Town Halls the other 40%.
1989: THE BIRTH OF INALSA
To speed up and better organise dealing with the water problem, in 1989 the water company, INSULAR DE AGUAS DE LANZAROTE S.A. (INALSA) was created with the Consorcio Insular de Aguas de Lanzarote (Lanzarote Island Waters Consortium) as sole shareholder. From this moment onwards, INALSA became the most immediate point of contact for the islanders and the companies on the island for all matters relating to water.
Centro Desalación Díaz Rijo
Ctra. Arrecife-Las Caletas, km 3,5
Tlfno: 928 814 440
Fax: 928 815 852